Indian Journal of Dermatology
SHORT COMMUNICATION
Year
: 2019  |  Volume : 64  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 217--223

Phakomatosis pigmentovascularis: A clinical profile of 11 Indian patients


Abhijit Dutta1, Sudip Kumar Ghosh2, Debabrata Bandyopadhyay3, Dibyendu Bikash Bhanja2, Surajit Kumar Biswas2 
1 Department of Pediatric Medicine, North Bengal Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
2 Department of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy, R.G. Kar Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
3 Department of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy, Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Sudip Kumar Ghosh
Department of Dermatology, R.G. Kar Medical College, 1, Khudiram Bose Sarani, Kolkata - 700 004, West Bengal
India

Introduction: Phakomatosis pigmentovascularis (PPV) is a rare congenital syndrome characterized by the simultaneous presence of capillary malformation and pigmentary nevi. The objective of our study was to describe the clinical characteristics of a series of Indian patients presenting with this rare entity. Materials and Methods: It was a record-based descriptive case series. Results: A total of 11 patients with PPV (9 females, 2 males, age range: 7 days to 45 years; mean 11.6 years) were studied. Port wine stain was present in 10 (91%) patients and one patient (9%) had cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita. Isolated nevi of Ota and Mongolian spots were seen in 4 (36%) patients each. Simultaneous presence of both Mongolian spots and nevus of Ota was present in 1 (9%) patient. The combination of Mongolian spots and bilateral palatal hyper-melanosis was noticed in 2 (18%) patients. Café au lait macule was present in one patient. Bilateral ocular melanosis was found in 3 (27%) patients. Unilateral ocular melanosis was noticed in 4 (36%) patients. Two patients (18%) had history of seizure disorder and intracranial vascular anomalies on MRI imaging. Two patients (18%) had features of Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome. According to the traditional classification, three patients had PPV type 2b, one patient had PPV type 5b, and seven patients had PPV type 2a. According to the Happle's classification, 10 patients had PPV of cesio flammea type, and one patient had PPV of cesio marmorata type. Limitations: We could not perform genetic study of the patients. Conclusion: Our findings emphasize the importance of detailed systemic evaluation including ocular examination and brain imaging in every patient of PPV.


How to cite this article:
Dutta A, Ghosh SK, Bandyopadhyay D, Bhanja DB, Biswas SK. Phakomatosis pigmentovascularis: A clinical profile of 11 Indian patients.Indian J Dermatol 2019;64:217-223


How to cite this URL:
Dutta A, Ghosh SK, Bandyopadhyay D, Bhanja DB, Biswas SK. Phakomatosis pigmentovascularis: A clinical profile of 11 Indian patients. Indian J Dermatol [serial online] 2019 [cited 2020 Feb 21 ];64:217-223
Available from: http://www.e-ijd.org/article.asp?issn=0019-5154;year=2019;volume=64;issue=3;spage=217;epage=223;aulast=Dutta;type=0