Indian Journal of Dermatology
  Publication of IADVL, WB
  Official organ of AADV
 
Users online: 69  
Home  Editorial Board  Current Issue Archives Coming Soon Guidelines Subscriptions  e-Alerts    Login  
    Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size Print this page Email this page
CASE REPORT
Year : 2012  |  Volume : 57  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 206-209

Disseminated cutaneous histoplasmosis in an immunocompetent adult


Department of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology, Seth G.S. Medical College and KEM Hospital, Mumbai, India

Correspondence Address:
Manoj Harnalikar
Departments of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology, Seth G.S. Medical College and KEM Hospital, Mumbai-400 008
India
Login to access the Email id


DOI: 10.4103/0019-5154.96194

PMID: 22707773

Get Permissions

Histoplasmosis, a systemic mycosis caused by the dimorphic fungus Histoplasma capsulatum var capsulatum and Histoplasma capsulatum var duboisii is endemic to many parts of the world. The clinical manifestations range from acute or chronic pulmonary infection to a progressive disseminated disease. After initial exposure to the fungus, the infection is self-limited and restricted to the lungs in 99% of healthy individuals. The remaining 1%, however, progress to either disseminated or chronic disease involving the lungs, liver, spleen, lymph nodes, bone marrow or rarely, the skin and mucous membranes. Mucocutaneous histoplasmosis is frequently reported in patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), but it is rare in immunocompetent hosts. A 60-year-old male presented with asymptomatic swelling of the hard palate and crusted papules and nodules over the extremities, face and trunk. Clinically, the diagnoses of cutaneous cryptococcosis versus histoplasmosis was considered in this patient. A chest X-ray revealed hilar lymphadenopathy. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) was nonreactive. Skin biopsy revealed multiple tiny intracellular round yeast forms with a halo in the mid-dermis. Culture of the skin biopsy in Sabouraud's dextrose agar showed colonies of Histoplasma capsulatum. Despite an investigation including no evidence of underlying immunosuppression was found, he was started on IV amphotericin-B (0.5 mg/kg/day). However, the patient succumbed to his disease 2 days after presentation. We report a rare case of disseminated cutaneous histoplasmosis in an immunocompetent individual.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1942    
    Printed64    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded111    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 4    

Recommend this journal

 

Site supported by Galderma